Chicago band, This Obsession, will be releasing a new album, A Confrontational Effort, on March 16. It will be out just in time for your St. Patrick’s Day shenanigans.
Some punk rock or alternative bands lack something that I’m listening for in a band. Musical talent, good voices, good lyrics, etc. Every band wants to make it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that This Obsession succeeds. There are so many talented bands that don’t achieve the success that they work and sacrifice so much for. Then people that don’t have half the talent sell millions of records.
But I digress.
I enjoyed listening to this album. It’s very high-energy. The vocalists, Mark and Jessica, sound good together. Sometimes they share vocals or alternate.
Overall, I like This Obsession and the album. I hope that they stay together and develop as songwriters and musicians. The band members are Mark Kronenberg – Guitar/Vocals, Jessica Otto – Bass/Vocals and Jon Jakubik – Drums/Vocals.
This is a list of songs on the album, plus a few comments.
- Arm in Arm. This is one of my favorite songs on the album.
- My Own Grave.
- Punk Ass Kid.
- Bottoms Up. I didn’t like this song as much. The music is fine. It’s the idea of not honoring the dead. Gotta love punk/pop-punk.
- Poetry for Dummies. I will be fast forwarding through this song if my kids are in the car.
- Shitting. No words.
- Yo, I’m no good.
- Deep Water. I can see myself singing this in the car with my kids.
- Paint Your Bed. This is also a good song to sing along with. There’s a piano solo. Who doesn’t love a good piano solo?