I may have gotten way in over my head. Honestly, I have to admit that while my taste in music varies from punk to NeoSoul to Americana, I don’t listen to rap very often. When I was younger, I sure did watch MTV Jams and Yo! MTV Raps almost every day.
One of my ex-boyfriends hid some stolen rap cd’s at my house for a few weeks. I didn’t see the point of that either. I’m not a criminal mastermind but how much can you make money from stealing and reselling CDs to make it worthwhile? I sold over 50 CDs and only made $20. Obviously, there’s a level of hustle that not everybody has time for.
But because of some stolen cd’s, I know who KRS-One is. So thanks for stealing? No. Just kidding. Don’t steal anymore.
On this blog, I don’t think I have ever done a review of a rap album. I like old school rap. These new rappers – I just don’t like it as much.
So there’s a rapper named SixxPho, who is my friend on Facebook. He asked me to listen to his singles, “Hood Star” and “A Lil’ Letter.” So here we are doing this review.
I’m not an expert on rap. I can tell you :
- I did not feel the urge to turn it off or throw the computer through the window.
- No one got sick or turned into a monster.
- I think I will listen to it again.
- It’s more like old school rap than the new stuff. So grateful to hear a rapper that sounds old school.
- Not all rap is about bitches and hoes. There are some lyrics that have value and meaning if you listen.
- “Hood Star” is SixxPho’s the story of how things were before going legit. “A Lil’ Letter” is a letter to his kids.
- There’s a good chance that many of you will like it. So click on the links at the bottom.