The book Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood is a reinterpretation of Shakespeare’s The Tempest. If you haven’t read the tempest or haven’t read it in over 15 years like yours truly, there is a two-page description in the back of the book. However, I think that most people will understand without the summary of The Tempest.
The main character, Felix, is a famous theater director who is betrayed by his right hand man, Tony. He exiles himself to a shack in the middle of nowhere. Felix remains a hermit until he sees an opportunity for redemption and revenge by teaching prisoners about literature. I cannot tell you any more except to say that many of the characters in The Tempest mirror characters in Hag-Seed.
I read The Tempest when I was in college. I remember that it was one of my favorite stories but I couldn’t remember why. So I was so excited to see that Margaret Atwood wrote a book based on The Tempest.
It only took me two days to finish the book. I only put it down when it was absolutely necessary. Sometimes I would watch Lost on Netflix while reading the book. The show was more like background noise.
The book did remind me why I loved The Tempest. It was like a magical soap opera – as good as any telenovella. It had drama, romance and magic.
I cannot even name one thing that was bad about the book. I think it’s a really great book and everyone should read it.
Stars at Night is a kickass group of four ladies from Los Angeles. They are a little bit punk, a little bit rock and roll – some of my favorite things in the world.
Their first album, The Beginning is available on Bandcamp. It was released in 2010. They were supposed to release a second, self-titled album in 2016; however, I cannot find it.
You guys should defnitely listen to and buy this album. This morning I was feeling less than motivated. After listening to Stars at Night, I feel re-energized. Coffee also helps. I highly recommend Stars at Night and coffee.
I enjoyed the songs, “Not Torn Apart,” “Your Destiny” and
If I was going to be in a band, I would want to be in this band. They have so much energy and talent. However, I don’t have musical abilities so maybe they would let me be a roadie or the band photographer or something.
If we were having coffee, I would tell you that
- I left the coffee pot on too long. I think I burnt it but it’s still tastes like coffee.
- My assignment at the temporary agency is over. Thank God! Previously, I worked at a very safety conscious factory. This last place was the opposite. It was like they never heard of safety or OSHA.
- I’ve been trying to get some reading done. Book reviews, Book reviews, Book reviews.
- And a million other things finished at the same time. I’m struggling to focus on one thing. So nothing really gets finished.
- I did a few music reviews for the blog, which you will see next week. My music reviews aren’t really official or anything. It’s always just my opinion. Always looking for cool bands. Rock, punk, indie. Not really into death metal.
- Maybe it’s Pinterests fault that I can’t focus? I’m still spending too much time on Pinterest. Jason Momoa pins are showing up on my feed so that is one blessing that I can count.
- The other thing on Pinterest are pictures of food, which remind me that I’m starving. I’m going to go make lunch and try to refocus. Also, I need to make sure I really turned the coffee pot off this time.
- Hope you’re all having a good week!!
- Weekend Coffee Share Link Up!!