It seems like getting a press pass should be so simple all of the time for bloggers. It is not always easy. Occasionally, you will not receive the highly desired press pass. You may deserve it but are still denied. Don’t give up on buying that super sparkly lanyard for your press ID just yet. You can make your own press pass but it probably won’t get you into the VIP area. It might get you pretty far but it also could get you kicked out sooner than usual. No amount of yelling , “Don’t you know who I am?” will save you. Odds are that they don’t know you.
Don’t despair. Hope is not lost yet.
Here is a list of things that could be keeping you from getting press passes.
1. You don’t have enough followers. Press passes are yet another reason to increase the number of people who read your blog. So get out there and meet people who could be potential readers of your blog. Talk about your blog. Hand out business cards. Be active on social media.
According to my daughter, “You have to work hard for your crown.” She is right. You’ll never get what you want if you don’t work for it. I really want a sparkly lanyard or a crown.
2. You didn’t fill out your form in time. Time is of the essence. There are usually a limited number of press releases for most events.
3. You didn’t fill out the form at all. If you want a press pass, find out how to obtain one. Take the time to fill out whatever paperwork is required.
4. You weren’t persistent enough. If you have questions, contact the public relations department. One email should be sufficient.
5. You were too persistent. Contact PR. Do not harass or stalk PR. Keep communications to a minimum. See #4: ONE email. If you haven’t heard back within a month of the event, then send a second email.