Vanesa Del Ray is the featured artist for today. Seriously. If I were the fainting type, I would have fainted when she replied. Instead, there were feelings of immense joy. You can all have feelings of joy when you check out her art work. Some of it is a little risque but I like that sort of thing. Can you blame me for wanting to buy everything that she has drawn? However, I would need a bigger house with more walls. Or an art gallery. I need an art gallery.
Enjoy the following interview with Ms. Del Ray.
1. What was the first thing that you were proud of drawing?
I think I remember drawing Belle, from The Beauty and the Beast, and being really happy with it because I had gotten her dress right.
2. What are you working on now?
I’ll have a project coming up with Image Comics and a couple more things with Marvel, but I can’t talk about them yet! My apologies!
3. Who has influenced you the most as an artist?
My grandmother has been a great influence from day one. She was my first art teacher.
4. Who is your favorite female superhero/villain/comic book character?
Cat Woman was the first I ever knew about. She’s still my favorite to this day. But it wasn’t through comics that I found out about her, it was through the Tim Burton movie Batman Returns from 1992. I lived in Cuba at the time and we didn’t have access to comics form the US or any where for that matter!
5. Do you think people expect a certain type of art from you since you are female?
Some people still get surprised, yes. I don’t think they expect anything from me, I just do the work. But I’ve had people say to me that i have a masculine style or that I look nothing like what I draw.
6. How often do you go to comic book conventions? Do you enjoy conventions?
I’ve been going to conventions for about 3 years now. I go to 3 or 4 conventions a year right now. I enjoy conventions a lot in part because I get to hang out with other folks from the industry and I get to meet new fans, and old ones too!
7. Are you an introvert or extrovert?
Definitely an introvert.
8. Where do you find your inspiration?
I like to read, and watch movies a lot. I enjoy stories being told, it doesn’t matter what kind. It could be a horror story or true crime or even a biography or history. It’s all stories.
9. What do you do if you have writer’s block?
I take a break and go for a walk or go for a swim. I could watch a movie or read a book. I have to get away from what I’m doing and come back with a fresh mind.
10. Have you had any interesting or awkward experiences since you’ve been an artist/writer?
Well, every time I interact with another human is either interesting or awkward or both at the same time.
11. Beverage of choice?
12. When was the last time that you dressed up for Halloween?
Last year. I was a vampire-nun. Not very original!
13. What do you want people to know about you?