If I were in my 20s and could do life over, I think I might follow a band or two around the country. In a sense, I could be in a band like Mojave Nomads. Not like in the band – more like running the merch booth. It would be a cool gig – listening to bands, traveling, making a few bucks. I wonder if they could use a momager.
Tyler Harris, lead singer, told me about what the band is currently doing. There might even be an opening in the merch booth.
How have things changed since winning the “Catch a Break at AMS” opportunity?
– AMS has really helped us so much, gear isn’t everything, but it does really help. Hooking us up with D’angelico, Orange, Shure and QSC has been game changing.
Will you be going on tour this summer?
YES! Lots planned for this summer, going to try and tour as much as we can before we head back into the studio!
How does one get a job running the merch booth? Asking for a friend . . .
– All you gotta do is ask, babe.
What is the biggest lesson that you’ve learned from being around the music industry?
– Practice, Patience and Planning, things aren’t always going to go your way, but you better be ready for it when they do.
Where was your first show?
– Our first show was in our drummer Cole’s backyard. Back Yard Bashers forever.
Is there anything interesting about Ogden, Utah? Isn’t there a dinosaur park there?
– Ogden is really great, the local community of small businesses/artists is growing everyday and its really amazing to be apart of it.
Yes! LONG LIVE THE DINOSAUR PARK.
Who taught you about music?
– I think we all pretty much learned from our parents/older brothers, and then we just all went from there!
What do you do when you’re not on tour or in the studio?
– We really try and write songs all year long so that we are always improving, but besides that we try to stay in shape, try and watch good movies, and try not to drink too much ;)
Do you have a bucket list? If so, what type of things are on it?
– Our band bucket list is too extensive, but a few are to:
- Meet Nardwuar
- Work with Danger Mouse
- Play Red Rocks in Colorado
What do you guys eat while on tour? Any favorite diners/restaurants?
– Cole only eats subway, but our favorite spot so far is Torchy’s Tacos in Austin, Bryton liked it so much he got a tattoo.
What do you want people to know about Mojave Nomads?
– We aren’t going anywhere and we are ALWAYS having a good time.